* No badgers were harmed in the creation of this blog *

** Not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease
**

Friday, July 11, 2008

Um, No?

This post is more about my seeming inability to say 'no'. I'm teaching two classes (down from three a week ago - I dropped my SAT class) and tutoring a half-dozen students. Doesn't sound like a lot, until I started to really look at my schedule: yesterday, for instance, I tutored from 9am - 10:30, taught from 11 - 2pm, tutored from 2:30 - 4:30, and taught again from 6 - 9pm. 12 hours, albeit with a 1 and 1/2 hour dinner break (which wasn't really 1 and 1/2 hours, as students always have questions, and I can't bring myself to hustle them out the door. I find that if I only leave fifteen minutes between obligations I tend to start my subsequent session late.)

So, why can't I say 'no'? I'd like to say that it's because I need the money, and this is true, but really, I don't want to disappoint. It's probably also related to the fact that for some of the teaching and some of the tutoring, I'm one of perhaps two people who are qualified. The other guy is new, and I don't know that he's tutoring yet. So, my schedule loads up, I can't find time to do my laundry, or play with my cats, or replace my car.

So, my New Year's resolution is to say 'no' more often, and from here on out, I intend to take Saturdays to myself - no classes, no tutoring, no front desk work. I recently dropped my Tuesday and Thursday front desk hours (I'm still on Suday during the day) and for the short term, I don't intend to replace them with tutoring or teaching - I'll be catching up with my own life.

At least, that's the plan.

No comments: