* No badgers were harmed in the creation of this blog *

** Not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease
**

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Author's question Re: X-ray

On my previous X-ray post (the first part of Chapter 4: Mortimer) I played around a bit with the chronology, presenting things out of sequence, to a degree, but I'm not sure that this came across.

*** BEYOND THIS PLACE THERE BE SPOILERS ***

My intent was to start in the middle, with the parking ticket, then quickly back up in time to when Ian arrived home. I did this for two reasons: first, "A parking ticket" follows closely from the closing of the previous chapter, binding them together. Second, I wanted to play around a bit with the narrative by moving back and forth in time. So I backed up by an hour or so, brought the narrative forward to the same point "A parking ticket?" and then continued forward past where that chapter began.

Did this work? Or was it too confusing?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't sweat the continuity. That's something you could iron out in the final stages of editing. Out-of-chronology is very hip. Ever watch the West Wing? They have some episodes that start with the last scene, and you have no idea what the hell is going on, and then it jumps 24 hours earlier and gradually fills you in. Super effective.